Monday, May 25, 2009

Fazrul signs up for Gombak revolution

Tam Cheong Yan
info@sleague.com

Gombak United’s powerful attacking line has been given a further boost, after it was confirmed that they have signed striker Fazrul Nawaz.

The Singapore international, who is close to fully recovering from an anterior cruciate ligament tear, will be tied to the League Cup holders for the remainder of the year.

Fazrul had sustained the injury while playing for Geylang United in October last year, and had to miss out on Singapore’s AFF Suzuki Cup campaign last year as a result.

There was more bad news for the 24-year-old when contract negotiations with Geylang broke down in the off-season, but the frustration of being released by the club where he had started his professional career has now been replaced by relief at signing for Gombak.

Fazrul’s decision to sign comes more than two months after he had first trained with the Jurong West-based side, as part of a comprehensive rehabilitation programme done in collaboration with the national team’s fitness experts.

And as a gesture of the club’s commitment to helping him, his contract has been backdated to the day he had started doing his fitness work at Jurong West – an act that has earned the player’s respect.

“I’m really glad that I now have a club to help me start my season,” he told sleague.com.

“I thank the club, especially (chairman) John Yap and my coach Darren (Stewart), for helping me so much. This club has a record for coming in to help players when they are suffering, and I think that is good for the players.

“Due respect to Geylang, I felt it was sad that I could not get the same kind of help from them after everything I have given to the club. But I understand these things happen in football, and I’m glad other people were there for me.

“Gombak, together with Sengkang Punggol, were the first to offer to help me out, and I chose to come here because Darren is here. He was more than a coach to me when I was at Geylang, and I decided that I want to repay him for what he has done for me before.”

Fazrul also revealed that he had been wooed by other S.League clubs, which he did not identify, once it had become clear that his recovery had been going well.

By then, though, he was already impressed with Gombak’s surprise charge into the top three, and that had persuaded him to take up the challenge despite what was already a formidable array of attacking options at the club.

Apart from fellow Singapore striker Agu Casmir, the Bulls also enjoy the services of current league top-scorer Ojimi Gabriel Obatola, Kingsley Njoku and Emmanuel Emuejeraye as orthodox forwards.

Throw in Ruhaizad Ismail and Fazli Jaffar on the flanks, and the firepower Gombak have would frighten many people looking to make a comeback from injury.

But Fazrul, who has been a fixture in the Singapore squad since earning his first cap in 2005, was undaunted as he cast his sights on returning to action for club and country.

“When I started to recover, I had offers from some other clubs, including some big clubs,” he said.

“Of course, who wouldn’t think about playing for a big club? But then again, I have a debt of gratitude to Gombak I want to replay, and speaking to the players here, I can see that they feel good about doing well so far.

“I want to be part of this, and I am coming here not just to make up the numbers. I will fight for my place in this team; once I start to play, I will do whatever I can to help the team win the league.

“It will be a big challenge competing with so many good strikers, but first I want to focus on getting back to full fitness and getting my confidence back. It’s one step at a time for me, but I believe I can bounce back and fight for my place in the national team.”

The SEA Games bronze medallist’s decision to join Gombak has been greeted with enthusiasm by the players, including Nigerian striker Njoku.

The 22-year-old, who has scored three goals in eight appearances so far, was all smiles as he spoke of his new colleague, as he expressed confidence that all the strikers will see their fair share of action even with Fazrul’s introduction into the squad.

“All the players welcome Fazrul to the family,” said Njoku.

“I have played against him for the past two years now, and I think he is a very good player. He is strong, and he is fast, and he will be a big plus to the team now that he is with us.

“I used to confuse him for an African player, because he is as strong as we are. In fact, since we are so alike, the competition for playing places will be even bigger now.

“Everybody will have to buck up, but that is life. We cannot expect to play every game, and sometimes one of us will have to take a rest so that others who are fitter can play.”

Bulls coach Stewart too is looking forward to renewing his ties with the versatile Fazrul, who can play either at centre forward or out on the flanks.

Revealing that a date has yet to be set for the player to take his mandatory fitness test, known as the Beep Test, the Australian stressed that there are no plans on the club’s part to rush Fazrul into taking his test.

Stewart was nonetheless confident that things will eventually work out for both player and club.

“Fazrul’s trained with the club for a while, and for the future of the club, we thought he’s a tremendous asset,” he noted.

“He didn’t look in great shape at the start; honestly, he couldn’t walk when he first came to training! But he’s a real good lad, and he’s a lot stronger than when I first saw him back at Geylang.

“The club’s put a lot of faith in him and looked after him, and we don’t want to rush him back into action. He’s not bound by transfer regulations, so whenever he’s ready, he can register, but if the physio says he needs another month, we will wait for that extra month.

“It’ll be hard work keeping all the strikers happy when he’s ready to play, but that’s part of the job. He’s a natural goalscorer, and you can’t have enough of them!”

No comments:

Post a Comment