Monday, April 27, 2009

The new culture.

Taken from: here

The new culture. Last night, I was chit-chatting with Pg Sallehuddin, the captain of DPMM FC, and we discussed about the match last night and the sending off of the captain himself. I have to admit that it was the best performance of DPMM FC I’ve seen at home. The one goal margin has always given the supporters a tensed feeling inside and last night was no different as DPMM FC won again by a single margin for the 5th time.

It was a perfect 55th birthday gift for Simunic as DPMM FC defeated the Warriors 2-1 which was marred by a scuffle incident towards the end of the game. Thailand superstar had given SAF FC a lifeline with a superb freekick in the 89th minute and they were literally chasing for an equaliser. DPMM FC were already handicapped by Pg Salleh’s sending off.

“Well, I have to admit my opponent did a professional foul. I stopped but he kept running towards me and dived as if I’d tackled him aggressively,” commented Pg Salleh’s on the second bookable offence.

“But I feel sorry for the team but the players played well under pressure. I thank God for the win.”

Komar and Jerkovic of DPMM FC
Abdelhamid celebrating his second goal for the club

It was also the first time that I saw Abdel Hamid playing in the starting line up. His performance simply erased my doubts about his ability to adapt to our local conditions. Despite his lack of pace (he’s 34 already), he caused a lot of problems for SAF FC defence and he was so unlucky not to capitalise on his scoring opportunities. He missed a hat-trick of chances especially an easy sitter which he ballooned from six yards in the first half.

Another outstanding player was Rene Komar who read the game very well. Komar and Pg Salleh have the best combination in defence and they managed to tame goal-scoring-spree Warriors who average at least 3 goals per game.

The victory itself was a great achievement but perhaps the bigger picture here is the culture in Brunei. Over 10,000 supporters came to the stadium to witness the match. Now here is the thing. Not all knows about the rules of football and maybe that makes up to 10% of the crowd (just an assumption) but they still turn up for the match.

Now this is a sign of a good social culture and this is definitely good branding for DPMM FC as a team. I’m sure almost the population of Brunei know the DPMM FC exist. But the next step is to create the buzz, create a bang, create this new exciting culture that the DPMM FC matches in the stadium is not just about football but a unity as a country.

I was standing not far from the action and I can tell you that the atmosphere especially in the final ten minutes gave me goosebumps. The fans were literally chanting and supporting a team of 11 players on the pitch and I believe the 12th man which is the crowd made a difference last night.

If you didn’t turn up last night, you may just missed the best moment of the month if not the year. Let’s bring back to good old days and I hope DPMM FC matches are more than just football and that is one big happy family (supporters).

Laboi was very anxious in the last 5 minutes
…but Simunic gave a “It’s-all-good” sign

No comments:

Post a Comment